Long Hill United Methodist Church
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.

About LHUMC

 

History of Long Hill United Methodist Church

 
In 1830, a group of men banded together and petitioned Elijah Middlebrook, Justice of the Peace, for permission to become organized as "The Methodist Episcopal Society for Trumbull."  Established in December, 1830, the first church building was purchased for $200 and was situated on Daniels Farm Road and "Old Back Road" (Now Lewis).  Church records state: "Females will sit on the east and males on the west."  That church building was sold at auction in 1866.
 
Parishioners had been worshipping at and independent church called the Morgan Chapel (built in 1857), which was located at Main Street and Lake Avenue.  Morgan Chapel was turned over to the Methodist Conference by Henry Morgan, founder of (the forerunner to) Goodwill Industries.
 
With $10 down and a mortgage of $140, the Methodists moved their worship services to "The Hall," which was located just north of Long Hill Green, in 1902.
 
In 1916, the parishioners felt the need for a new church.  On land donated by Mr. & Mrs. Nestor Wedge, farmers brought stones from their fields and stonewall fences to build our beautiful church building that was dedicated in July, 1918 and has served generations of Methodists since!
 
The sanctuary was remodeled to its present form in 1954 and its interior was renovated in 2003.
 
 
Bradley Hall was built in 1950, and our education building was built in 1961.